EASY. ENGAGING. EFFECTIVE.
You don’t even do the practice.
You just coach your brain to use mindfulness.
That’s like reaching your ideal weight by coaching someone else to do the diet and exercise.
1) Choose a name to use to address your brain.
2) Choose a “project” you want your brain to work on.
3) If you choose, use S.T.O.P before you begin Pathfinding.
S Step back from all the noise.
T Take a deeper breath and then just let go.
O Observe what’s going on in your body: jaw, shoulders, seat, and stomach.
P Proceed with Pathfinding.
4) Ask your brain,
“What comes up when you focus on leveling up fulfillment and getting a better outcome here?”
5) Wait and see what your brain says comes up.
6) Triage what comes up.
If you don’t immediately recognize it as something useful, label it, and table it. (Just say what it is - image, word, feeling - and leave it for future reference.)
If you do recognize it as something useful (an insight, inspiration, intuition, impulse to action, positive physical feeling, etc.) acknowledge that.
At this point you may choose how you want to proceed depending upon the nature of what comes up and your own needs and inclinations.
You may choose to pause the Pathfinding and record what came up, or explore that more by making it your project, or just mentally note what came up and continue the Pathfinding.
7) After triaging what comes up, continue Pathfinding. Ask your brain, “What else comes up when you focus on leveling up fulfillment and getting a better outcome here?”
8) Do this for as long as you choose.
Those are the basic steps. If you like this approach and want more guidance, just...
THE POSSIBILITIES WORKSHOP
and we’ll work on it together!